Celebration of International Bat Night
The Jersey Bat Group will be taking part in the International Bat Night celebrations by hosting not one but two public bat activity walks on 27th (Queen’s Valley reservoir) and 28th August (Val de la Mare reservoir).
- Tickets are £5 for adults and £2 for children (under 16 years old).
- There are 3 timeslots for which you can book tickets – 20:00, 20:30 and 21:00
- 15 tickets available for each timeslot
- Please book your tickets on Eventbrite: Click here for tickets
History of International Bat Night – EUROBATS
Bats have an important role to play in our ecosystem, and are one of the major contributors to keeping down night insects like midges and mosquitoes. Some of them are becoming endangered and International Bat Night was established to help promote a greater awareness and understanding of bats and why they deserve to be protected. This celebration is held by bat groups across the British Isles, such as the Jersey Bat Group, and the Bat Conservation Trust, to coincide with International Bat Night (formerly European Bat Night) which is organised by EUROBATS. The Bat Night has taken place every year since 1997 in more than 30 countries over the last full weekend of August.
How to celebrate International Bat Night
One of the best ways to spend International Bat Night is by joining one of the Jersey Bat Group walks and celebrating the night with the members. You will have the chance to learn about how to be a bat detective – how you might be able to spot where bats live, where you could see them foraging, how to tell one kind of bat from another, and how they use echolocation to find their way in the dark, You will also have a chance to use a bat detector and see if you can spot any bats!
- The walks will be at three staggered pre-booked intervals: 20.00, 20.30 and 21:00 (15 people per group).
- Please arrive at the location 10 minutes before your ticketed time.
- The walk will last approximately one hour and you will need suitable clothing, sturdy walking shoes and a torch.
Thank you to Jersey Water for kindly allowing us to use their site.
Items to purchase after the walk
There will be various batty items for sale at the meeting point.
Refreshments are not being provided.
For further details contact Jersey Bat Group: firstname.lastname@example.org
Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.